Academic Spanish Language Academy for Educators
An understanding of the structure and history of the Spanish language empowers educators to more effectively teach Spanish language and literacy skills. The Academic Spanish Language Academy for Educators consists of three interactive and engaging 90-minute sessions designed to have an immediate impact on teaching practices in your classroom or context. Participants in this certification program dig deep into Spanish spelling rules, common mistakes, syllable structure, and the use of accents. Participants engage with activities to promote foundational literacy skills in Spanish as well as activities that develop students’ reading and writing skills in later grades. Sociocultural aspects of the Spanish language, such as regional variations and historical influences, are also explored.
The Academic Spanish Language Academy for Educators is designed for all educators who teach Spanish language and literacy, and is appropriate for dual language, bilingual, and world language educators. This course might be for you if you:
- teach Spanish in a dual language program, as a foreign language, and/or to native speakers of Spanish; or
- speak Spanish and would like to learn more about why Spanish is the way it is and how it is used in various contexts today; or
- work with Spanish-speaking students in any context.
- Palabra Amiga book
- Palabra Amiga workbook
- Social Studies Glossary
- Science Glossary
- Math Glossary
- Three sessions in this course
- Each session is 90 minutes long
- This first offering will be January 26, 27, and 28, 2021
- Each session begins at 2pm PST
- Facilitated by Dr. Vanessa Mangual